[Qgis-user] Connecting to Oracle Spatial using a proxy user

Fabio Fumi ffumi68 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 03:27:35 PST 2023

Hi,

I have to connect to Oracle DBs for my work with a "proxy" user (security
requirements) and I normally make it with SQLDeveloper, setting it up like:

username: MY_USER[DB_USER]
password: << MY_USER password >>
connection type: Base
host: << DB host address >>
port: << DB port >>
service: << DB service name >>

where MY_USER is my personal user, while DB_USER is the name of the schema
where DB tables are present. The DB is an Oracle 12g and is v21, but in
order to make this work I had to setup SQLDeveloper preferences so to use
an external Oracle client (instantclient) and the Thick/OCI driver. Also,
compatibility with the oracle client needs to be taken care of. I use the
Oracle instant client 21.11 and SQLDeveloper 21.4.1.

I'm trying to replicate such an Oracle connection in QGIS, but simply
setting up the connection details as above, it fails with:

ORA-01017 invalid username/password

I've searched a lot already and tried some variations in the QGIS
connection setup, but I haven't been able to solve my problem. Oracle proxy
user connection doesn't seem to be supported in QGIS, does it?

Can someone here help me?
thanks in advance
Fabio