[Qgis-user] intersection question

Matthew Carroll matthew.finn.carroll at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 23:45:28 PST 2023

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to qgis, and hoping someone can point me in the right
direction for a problem I'm trying to solve.

I need to intersect two polygon layers, and identify which polygons from
the original layer are, essentially, the ones that were "split" by the
intersection process.

In this example I'd want to identify polygons 1,2,4,5 since 3,6 are the
same as in the original layer.

[image: intersection_example.png]

Ideally those polygons would be identified somehow in the attribute table
for the intersection layer.

In addition, is there any way to build some tolerance into the process to
account for spots where the polygon boundaries on layer 2 don't align 100%
perfectly with layer one.

Thanks so much for the help,
Matthew