[Qgis-user] International/Local Labeled World Basemap in QGIS. Protomaps?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Oct 23 23:24:52 PDT 2023

Hi All,

Looking at Protomaps [0], and see that it's tools are OpenSource, data
from OSM data, and you should be able to host a 110Gb file via CDN as
basemap.

Would it be an idea (doable) for us as QGIS Community to host/CDN this,
make sure we can handle a couple of styles/themes very well and then add
it to QGIS as base map ( EPSG:3857 only sorry :-) )?

OR would 'we' prefer to have vector tiles in 'proper' crs's?

Myself I'm looking for a proper WORLD-map with both English and Local
labels/placenames (or easy switchable between those).
And even downloading a 100Gb file and installing locally would be OK for
me.

Others maybe had a look or better idea's?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://github.com/protomaps