[Qgis-user] Output to pdf file doesn't contain vector details

Michael McNeil memcneil02 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 08:43:08 PDT 2023

Chris, Garth, others,

Now that we've resolved the issue of reentering Qgis and accessing my
previously saved project data (thanks again, Garth!), I can go on to
investigate whether Qgis can serve as my entire graphics toolkit for
working on and producing the final output version of maps. I certainly
wouldn't mind that being the case (even though powerful vector-graphics
tools such as CorelDraw also have their place, I maintain).

*Shapefiles*

But, it should also be possible to use Qgis to (say) input GIS data files
in one format (such as NASA's SRTM “tiles”), then output the data in
another vector-graphics format (such as .shp shapefiles or .svg files) –
for directing the data to another application for further processing, as
convenient – whether or not Qgis technically can do much the same further
processing.

In this regard, I generated shapefiles corresponding to the input SRTM
data, but I encountered 2 problems there: First, my preferred secondary
application CorelDraw does not accept .shp (and associated files) input –
though it does read .svg and .pdf files.

Second, to get past this initial limitation, I attempted to input Qgis'
output shapefiles to the website Aspose's page for converting shapefiles
into svg files only to have it declare allQgis' shapefiles to be “invalid
data.” I have a trouble report in with them about that.

I would prefer to use shapefiles to transfer the data – that is intended to
be an interim format – however CorelDraw doesn't accept shapefiles (.shp) ,
but it does svg