[Qgis-user] Output to pdf file doesn't contain vector details

Emma Hain emma at north-road.com
Tue Sep 19 19:10:39 PDT 2023

 Michael and list,

But, it should also be possible to use Qgis to (say) input GIS data files
> in one format (such as NASA's SRTM “tiles”), then output the data in
> another vector-graphics format (such as .shp shapefiles or .svg files) –
> for directing the data to another application for further processing, as
> convenient – whether or not Qgis technically can do much the same further
> processing.

This can be done by undertaking transformations. In the Processing tools
panel, type in the search bar  'convert' and select the appropriate tool -
however if you are unsure of what you are doing, you may introduce
positional and other errors. By sticking with the cartographic process
within QGIS and importing in your other elements, this would produce a more
accurate response. I would also really learn about Coordinate Reference
Systems (CRS) as well. A map is different to a graphic is you are placing
disparate datasets together.

I would totally support learning about the strengths of the cartography of
QGIS. It is developed by people who love the art of cartography so perhaps
you should harness this? I do understand though that you work with what you
have the most experience with.

However, if you do want to go down the path of using QGIS' cartographic
power, here are some really helpful online free tutorials:
https://www.qgistutorials.com/en/

If you would like additional features in QGIS, please feel free to add them
to here <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues>and label them as a feature
enhancement.

Good luck
Em

On Tue, 19 Sept 2023 at 03:32, chris hermansen via QGIS-User <
qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>

> Not sure what viewer app you're referring to here so I'll skip over this.
>

>> Why wouldn't anybody (Qgis, for instance) *want* the capability of
>> producing output maps that one can do that with – if desired by the map's
>> creator! Why choose to enforce pixelation onto a vector format where it
>> isn't inherent?
>>

> As I mentioned above, you're able to not rasterize, and if you do so, your
> line thickness is a result of your output settings including line "weight"
> and page size, ie intended print resolution, not pixelation.
>
> Maybe you should look at a different QGIS export pathway, which you can
> find by right-clicking on the layer you want to export, selecting  "Export
> > Save Features As..." and working with whatever format that appears in
> that list that works with Corel Draw (maybe AutoCAD DXF?).
>

>> I suggest that that a specific Export Resolution dpi value in Qgis'
>> Layout settings be made optional – with “Unlimited” as another option.
>>

> If SVG were one of the layer export options, I imagine it would be
> intended to work this way.
>

>> Best,
>> Michael McNeil
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 8:43 AM Michael McNeil <memcneil02 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Chris, Garth, others,
>>>
>>> Now that we've resolved the issue of reentering Qgis and accessing my
>>> previously saved project data (thanks again, Garth!), I can go on to
>>> investigate whether Qgis can serve as my entire graphics toolkit for
>>> working on and producing the final output version of maps. I certainly
>>> wouldn't mind that being the case (even though powerful vector-graphics
>>> tools such as CorelDraw also have their place, I maintain).
>>>
>>> *Shapefiles*
>>>
>>> But, it should also be possible to use Qgis to (say) input GIS data
>>> files in one format (such as NASA's SRTM “tiles”), then output the data in
>>> another vector-graphics format (such as .shp shapefiles or .svg files) –
>>> for directing the data to another application for further processing, as
>>> convenient – whether or not Qgis technically can do much the same further
>>> processing.
>>>
>>> In this regard, I generated shapefiles corresponding to the input SRTM
>>> data, but I encountered 2 problems there: First, my preferred secondary
>>> application CorelDraw does not accept .shp (and associated files) input –
>>> though it does read .svg and .pdf files.
>>>
>>> Second, to get past this initial limitation, I attempted to input Qgis'
>>> output shapefiles to the website Aspose's page for converting shapefiles
>>> into svg files only to have it declare allQgis' shapefiles to be “invalid
>>> data.” I have a trouble report in with them about that.
>>>

>>> I would prefer to use shapefiles to transfer the data – that is intended
>>> to be an interim format – however CorelDraw doesn't accept shapefiles
>>> (.shp) , but it does svg

> --
> Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

Emma Hain — Product Manager/Senior GIS Analyst
emma at north-road.com / 0414 512 782
[image: https://north-road.com]
*North Road*
Cartography • Development • Spatial Analysis
*north-road.com* <http://north-road.com>
<https://twitter.com/northroadgeo>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/north-road-studios>
<https://www.facebook.com/North-Road-997236690392419/home>