[Qgis-user] How to create 3d terrain from DEM?

greg at tekknow.net greg at tekknow.net
Fri Feb 23 14:57:06 PST 2024

Thankyou Agustin, Richard, Andrea, and David for your replies!

Unfortunately, I'm a newbie at this and I don't quite understand everything
yet.

@David: I tried using the delta from the min to the max so that all the data
points were relative to 0 but got the same result.  I haven't tried the
National Map yet.

@Andrea: You are correct about LAT and LONG in degrees and ALT in meters.
But I don't know how to "reproject the point vector layer containing the
elevation data to a projected Coordinate Reference System whose unit of
measure for the X and Y coordinates is the metre and then use such
reprojected point vector layer to create the DEM".  I've looked at the
properties of the project and I see CRS and Transformations.  In CRS >
Projected Coordinate Systems I don't see any UTM.  Nor do I see any in
Geographic Coordinate Systems.  I do see some UTM's in the CRS > Projected
Coordinate Systems > Other.  So, I chose WGS 84 / UTM grid system (northern
hemisphere), but got the same result.  Can you explain further?

@Richard: I'm confused about the resolution of Google Earth satellite data.
I do believe that it is only 30m SRTM data because I tried another method in
Blender and it only mapped a single point, causing a slight wave in the
otherwise flat surface.  Yet, as I move the mouse over the land in Google
Earth, I see the elevation in the status bar changing continuously.  How can
that be if the resolution is so low?  I haven't tried your link to the
original SRTM yet.  I tried setting the pixel size to 30x and 30y, but then
the rows went to only 1.  Maybe that's confirmation that there is only one
point that is hit in a 300 x 400 ft piece of land?

@Agustin: When I try to set the Geometry CRS for the point data import, I
only see 4 choices, and none of them appear to be a projected CRS.  However,
I discovered the Select CRS icon button and was able to select from a long
list.  I chose WGS 84 / UTM grid system (northern hemisphere).  But then the
lower right status bar showed EPSG:32600, not the one I chose.  Continuing
anyway, when I did HCMGIS > Basemaps > Google Satellite, it failed to bring
in any map.