[Qgis-user] QGIS Qt6 Wayland ongoing status

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jan 17 22:10:32 PST 2024

Hi Chris, Adam and others,

I am not the technical person to answer details, but I am on the QGIS
PSC and can assure you that building QGIS on Qt6 is high up on our
priority list (for at least a year or even longer). You can already
build QGIS fine on Qt6 (for at least 2-3 versions now) but the core devs
came across some blockers that had to be solved first, before we can
bring this to the end users without major regressions:

  	* isues around qt3d and webengine compatibility (one could either use
3D or the webengine, not both together)
  	* issues around the fact that Qt webengine cannot output HTML/web
output to vectors when rendering to PDF
  	* PyQt6 bindings had to be done

While the first issue is already solved, the 2nd issue is currently
being solved by introducing another library
(https://github.com/JakubMelka/PDF4QT) and the third item is roughly 2/3
done and still actively being worked on.

Then there is the issue that all QGIS plugins have to be migrated to
PyQt6 ...

We will probably offer QGIS Qt6 builds as technology previews soon in
parallel to the normal Qt5 builds.

Now - about wayland: all of this has really nothing to do with Wayland
but has to be done anyway, because Qt5 isn't developed any further and
QGIS.ORG already invested in Qt6 improvements from which we cannot yet
take advantage of until we ship with Qt6.

Moving QGIS to Qt6 doesn't automatically mean that all QGIS wayland
issues are solved - but probably quite a few of these issues.

Hope this clarifies the situation? If you want more detailed, more
technical responses, I recommend discussions on the QGIS developers
mailing list. It would only bore regular QGIS users ...

Greetings,

Andreas
QGIS.ORG treasurer and PSC member