[Qgis-user] Installation of QGIS on Ubuntu 22.4 LTS (Jammy) seems to use old library versions from 20.04 LTS (Focal)

Schoemans Maxime maxime.schoemans at ulb.be
Sat Jan 27 14:34:00 PST 2024

Hi Chris,

On 27/01/2024 20:05, chris hermansen wrote:
Hello again Maxime,

Worth reading through this:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/48685

You will see that someone in a similar problem solved it, albeit earlier version of QGIS.  Maybe this will apply in your case as well...?

I looked through the thread, but it seems that the issue is different.
In the linked issue, crssync is looking for libgdal.so.30, which is the correct version for 'jammy'.
In my case, the versions that crssync seems to look for are the ones from 'focal'.

Even more surprising:

maxime at maxime-pc:~ $ ldd /usr/lib/qgis/crssync | grep libwebp
    libwebp.so.7 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebp.so.7 (0x00007ffa557ad000)

According to 'ldd', crssync depends on libwebp.so.7, which is the 'jammy' version.
But when configuring qgis-providers (which is where the 'apt install' is crashing), the issue is still the following:

maxime at maxime-pc:~ $ sudo dpkg --configure qgis-providers
Setting up qgis-providers (1:3.35.0+git20240125+8c52728faf8+36jammy) ...
/usr/lib/qgis/crssync: error while loading shared libraries: libwebp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package qgis-providers (--configure):
 installed qgis-providers package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
 qgis-providers

I have no idea why it is looking for libwebp.so.6 instead of 7.

Btw, I tested with 'ubuntu' (3.34), 'ubuntu-ltr' (3.28) and 'ubunutu-nightly' (3.35) with the same results each time.

Concerning your previous email, the dependency problems come from the fact that qgis, qgis-plugin-grass and python2-qgis all depend on qgis-providers, which was not fully installed (due to the configuration problem seen above).
Running 'apt upgrade -f' is thus not helping in this case.

I am out of ideas.
I might just try to manually install all old 'focal' packages as I did for libqhull 7.
That does not seem like the clean way of solving this, but I don't have any other ideas.

Best,
Maxime