[QGIS-ZA-user] Georeferencing maps in QGIS

Neil Falconer nfalconersa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 01:34:02 PDT 2017

Hi Hanco,
One needs to be careful to make note of the projection info on topo and
geological maps. Essentially these maps may have a Decimal Degree graticule
around the border but the map is in fact projected. In such cases only the
decimal degree values of the corners of the map are in fact accurate.

In such instances one will need to first create a pont layer of those
corners in the correct projection as per the map. Only then use the
georeferencing tool to georeference the scanned map to those projected
corner points.