[Ráfaga] #1921: ocean, design, gnss, oldmaps

Jorge Sanz xurxosanz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 00:28:40 PDT 2022

#1921: ocean, design, gnss, oldmaps

Fri, 14 Oct 2022 by Raf

* Working on a proposal and made this, it turned out nicely! It is the
Spilhaus projection of the global ocean with @oceans_and_ice's global
currents overlaid onto Niklas Röber's sea surface temperature &
velocity! #Antarctica and the #SouthernOcean at the heart of our
planet!

https://twitter.com/griffiths_huw/status/1580494845449162752

* All the concepts behind map design (scale, projection, symbols,
generalization, etc) can be manipulated to make maps lie as shown in
this hands-on interactive exercise [FR]

https://www.humanite.fr/en-debat/regard-de-cartographe/mobilisations-du-29-septembre-ou-l-art-de-faire-mentir-les-cartes-766751

* The UNION (Undifferentiated and Uncombined Positioning Engine)
project wants to turn our smartphones into a real precision surveying
tool with GNSS

https://www.xyht.com/gnsslocation-tech/is-high-precision-gnss-coming-to-your-smartphone/

* Geographer Francisco Coello, born 200 years ago, pioneer of modern
cartography who produced the first scientific map of Spain, has an
exhibition at IGN in Madrid from September 14 to October 14 [ES]

https://elpais.com/ciencia/2022-09-24/el-hombre-que-dibujo-bien-espana-por-primera-vez.html?ssm=LK_CM