[RouterGeocoder] Dual-licensing

Daniel Kastl orkney at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 20:44:32 EST 2008

Hi Andrew and others,

The recent posts were interesting. Because I was discussing this
dual-licensing  with Anton during lunch breaks, this is what I believe
is what a licensing model should provide:

    * It should assure when projects use the "free" license (for example
      GPL), that this leads to collaboration and contributions.
    * It should not lock out closed source, but allow proprietary
      software to make use of it through a "commercial" license. And for
      this license the Routing/Geocoder project could charge money,
      which would then help to sponsor development.

There are probably many successful examples. I don't know a dual-license
is the solution for this issue. I'm glad to be convinced that there is a
better way. I just thought this would be worth to discuss before
changing the license of existing projects.

Daniel