[RouterGeocoder] FW: [OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone interested in geocoding and routing?

Andrew Ross grof at rogers.com
Thu Nov 13 19:23:35 EST 2008

FWD for history on the new list

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Turner
Sent: November 7, 2008 9:55 AM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone interested in geocoding and routing?

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Judit Mays <mays at lat-lon.de> wrote:
> Jody Garnett schrieb:
>> Fair enough - one thing I am interested in is having an API to
>> interact with a range of geocoder implementations. I know the
>> standards at osgeo.org list will remind me of OpenLS - but I am not sure
>> if that has seen any adoption in the wild (although it looks like
>> their is a new version comming out with a range of interesting sponsors
behind it).

> OpenRouteService (http://www.openrouteservice.org/) seems to implement
> OpenLS.
> I'm not sure about their implementation being open source (I somehow
> doubt it, as it isn't stated as such). But in their terms of use they
> say: "If you intend to use OpenRouteService in your own applications
> please contact us. We are interested in spreading the usage of
> OpenRouteService in academic and non-profit and Open Source projects."

Weren't we in Africa and learn our lessons? An API is not good enough if the
software/application is offline - or even on a slow connection.
And SOAP?!

There is an incredible need for an *open* and hopefully lightweight
geocoder. Yes, this can have an API on top of it using whatever format
- but needs to be able to run offline/locally if the data is available.

I think OpenRouteService "looks" really promising, but based on brief
interchanges they are not yet interested in actually sharing the source code
yet. Claims of "difficult to setup" prevent them.
Honestly, that is not a good reason - open-source obviously doesn't
(yet) come with an expectation of being easy to setup. Hopefully they'll
share the source and engine soon. Otherwise I'm confused on the Open* part
of their name.

Andrew