[RouterGeocoder] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Discussion on Routing

Anton Patrushev anton.patrushev at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 19:43:01 EST 2008

Hi Steve,

Let me clarify some things.
There is no conflict here - we all want to have the same things to be done.
But Daniel is talking about a library while you are talking about an
application.
Yes, we have Boost Graph Library and (surprise! surprise!) pgRouting uses it.
Our goal is not to reinvent the wheel, but to create a tool everybody
can use. For example, I was quite surprised when last year at FOSS4G
2007 I met a guy who was trying to use pgRouting to simulate forest
fires. Amazing! Who knows, probably somebody is dying without having
river network navigation tool. Or who knows what else.

What about shortest paths calculated in 2 seconds for 30 million edges
- it is possible right now! No kidding! Just buy Cray and precalculate
all possible paths between all possible node pairs :)
But to say seriously, it is application side.

Of course it doesn't mean that we don't need to think about
application side. No! It is important.
But I think we should start with a core (having some possible
applications in mind).

By the way, I found your ticket (pretty old) at the pgRouting Trac
about the way how to store turn restriction rules (with rules divided
by semicolon). It makes a lot of sense! Thanks, man! I will use it for
sure.

Anton.