[RouterGeocoder] Public Address GeoCoder Project (PAGC)

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 20 12:58:23 EST 2008

Hi Dave,

We actually selected LGPL for PAGC because it did allow for less
restrictive use. The decision of what license to use was actually made
back in 2003 or 2004, and the LGPL seemed right at that time. Whether
that is the correct license moving forward may be worth thinking through
at this point. Would an Apache or BSD license be preferred for some
potential users/developers (particularly those interested in
contributing back to the project in some way)?

Dan

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 12:27 -0500, Dave McIlhagga wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>

> That's an interesting overview -- and one of the projects I hadn't
> heard about until this discussion started moving.
>

> The one comment I have is that with an LGPL license, it may limit
> adoption by organizations who are interested in adding proprietary
> extensions to the library -- potentially limiting the audience that
> would be involved.
>

> Other than that - it looks interesting on the surface.
>

> Dave
>

> Dave McIlhagga
> www.dmsolutions.ca
>

> On 20-Nov-08, at 11:42 AM, Sampson, David wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Glad to see that there is enough interest in going this route these
> > days…
> >
> > The PAGC projoect has been around for a few years, and has an SVN
> > repo on Sourceforge.
> >
> > Take a look and concider a few things.
> >
> > * The latest version contains a C library
> > * We already have an OGC geocoding service
> > * Out of the box it is ready for TIGER data and Canadian Stats can
> > data
> > * text Files control the lexicon of naming conventions.
> > * text Files control the fomrat of tabular data and its
> > interpritation…
> >
> > Before reinventing the wheel perhaps there ar esynergies, especialy
> > in maintaining the library, adding internationalization and addition
> > format support.
> >
> > We also have a mailing list.
> >
> > Here is the project page  http://www.pagcgeo.org/
> >
> > Please go to Sourceforge for the latest download…
> >
> > Cheers

Dan Putler
Sauder School of Business
University of British Columbia