[RouterGeocoder] Re: Some thoughts on OpenRouter

Ashraf Hossain ashraf10bd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:49:37 EDT 2009

Hi Steve,
I was in a vacation so I replied you after a long long day.
First of all my thinking is almost same as your planning about
openrouter library.
It will be part of GDAL/OGR.

But I have some queries.

1. In a multipart polyline feature is every part connected or there is
some possibility of disconnect? Because when openrouter library will
build the connectivity database then we have to keep in mind this.

2. Should the graph independent from the shape?
--> It may have several solution.
   a. If it is independent then the data size will be huge in graph.
   b. If not then we can we can solve this in 2 way.
        *. As you explained in this mail that keeping the memory location
        *. As Shape file database system(*.bdf file). In shape for
every consecutive feature index we have related information in dbf
file.
            We can do such kind of things here (I will explain it
later part of this mail).

3. If the user set a source and destination with specific latitude and
longitude should we use the spatial index tree of a layer in
mapserver?

4. How the optimization parameter values come from? From the dbf file?

5. Should we concentrate on the support of as may layer type (suppose
shape file,database...)  as in mapserver else we shold concentrate on
the functionalities of the library as much as I can?

Now My planning about openrouter library in some little details.

*. The mapserver indexing tree will be used and the shape file feature
also be used.
The router geocoder will make a connectivity and node database (graph).

Suppose we built the node database ; The connectivity database is
nothing but a node index list where the node index will stored
accoring to the polyline feature's points (actually first point of the
polyline feature and the last point of the polyline feature the middle
points are not the part of the graph).

If one user set any source point then we will find the closest feature
using the indexing tree and then we will get the feature index of that
feature in the feature list then we will directly access the node from
the connectivity database which will be stored in the same index for
that feature. And for the destination point we will apply the same
technoque. Then we alredy got the source node and destination node and
we alredy have the graph we can apply several algorithm for generating
shortest paths.

This is my primary idea. I need to mature this with consecutive
discussion along with you first then I will let know others about
this.

And at last, I am not too natural in english so I think you can
understand me well.

With Regards
Roni