[SAC] User info self-update

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Apr 15 01:38:02 EDT 2007

Folks,

I have written another simple python form for users to update their name,
email address and password for their OSGeo userid.  It is available at:

   https://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/auth/ldap_edit_user.py

I have also updated the http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid page accordingly.

Note that we still have no mechanism for someone who has forgotten their
password to get a reminder or to reset their password.  I realized that
the reminder isn't really possible since we only store the md5 checksum
for the password.  We could do a reset, but it isn't obvious how we would
avoid abuse.  Imagine everyone's account having the password reset by a
prankster - it could cause quite a bit of disruption!

The user creation form is also still prone to abuse.

At this point I feel we have at least a bare minimum set of services in
place for managing LDAP userids and groups with the caveat about forgotten
passwords.