[SAC] Hosted Backup System - cost discussion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 7 21:12:25 EST 2007

Jason Birch wrote:
>  - Our SVN backups
>  - Our database backups
>
> But they do not have to back up the entire history; just the most recent
> one.  Perhaps we should look at a strategy that keeps the most recent
> backup in a "to_backup" area, and ask them to ONLY back up that folder?

Jason,

I'm not clear on why need to backup our SVN backups, and our
database backups if we are already backing up our live svn trees and
mysql databases.  Is it because the backup technology does not necessarily
capture a version of these that is guaranteed to be in working condition?

My impression would be that if we value this backup mechanism we should
tune what gets backed up and perhaps pay an extra $100/month for an extra
100GB of backup space which should cover us quite well.

If we don't really care that much about the peer1 backup then we should
more severely restrict what they backup, and we should make sure that things
we care about get rsync'ed to telascience (which does not happen currently).

I'd add that migrating off Peer1 is not a very appealing prospect for me.
Migration is a lot of work.  I *feel* like we are just getting to the point
where we are back up to speed after the migration off collabnet.