[SAC] Re: svnsync

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:10:47 EST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
> I propose we let it stand for a week or so, and if things look like
> they are behaving to our satisfaction, we discontinue the 'svnadmin
> dump' full backups that we are running nightly that cause us lots of
> i/o and cpu grief.

I have discontinued the full backups of subversion repositories on
osgeo1 by commenting out the calls to do so in the scripts.  The
mirror is up and syncing hourly, and it has been running without
trouble for almost a week.  This should free up considerable storage
and cpu resources, especially during the backup time (~10am European
time).

We will still maintain an incremental dump, however, which essentially
ends up being a single copy of the repository that is added to every
three hours with the latest transactions.

The subversion dumps should no longer be needed as part of the
backup(s), and it hopefully will free up the space to get us under the
wire.  Shawn and Tyler, can you guys take care of trimming the full
dump svn stuff as part of the peer1 backup purging?

Howard