[SAC] OSGeo Email Aliases

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 11 13:00:36 EST 2007

I would like to propose that SAC develop a policy (doesn't have to be
complex!) for giving out @osgeo.org email aliases.  For background,
the previous www.osgeo.org portal automatically gave *any* registered
site user an email alias.  I remember being quite surprised to find
that any anonymous person could sign up as a user and instantly have
the benefit of appearing to represent OSGeo in some way.
Fortunately, I do not think that many people knew about this feature.

During the migration we had no way to know who was using their
alias.  So anyone who wants to use or keep using their alias has had
to request that it be re-created.  Shawn, Frank and I have added
some.  But when new ones are needed, what kind of filter should they
be going through?  Should they be reserved for chairs, officers, etc
or made available to all active members?

The only problem I see, is that we have no policy on how they should
(or should not be used) and we have no current way of identifying who
an 'active member' is.

Perhaps this just underscores the need to get a membership management
application set up?

Tyler