[SAC] Re: create account page

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 25 10:40:54 EDT 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> On 25-Jul-07, at 5:47 AM, shawn barnes wrote:
>
>> There is a firstname attribute but, it is called givenName.
>> The minimal attributes that were originally populated are,
>>
>>   givenName -> firstname
>>   sn        -> lastname
>>   cn        -> firstname lastname
>>   mail      -> email
>>   uid
>>   userPassword
>
> So, Frank, it's safe to say that givenName attribute has not been
> populated as there is no form field for it in the sign up page?

Tyler,

That is correct.  It is possible that givenName was set for a few
accounts created by hand but it is generally not set.

We have "cn" which is clearly the full name in LDAP usage, and
"sn" which is surname.  I am hesitant to automatically populate
the givenName automatically because I don't think it is entirely
obvious what is the givenName in the cn field.  Not all cultures
will have entered the "cn" as firstname lastname as we tend to.
Also the "cn" hasn't been populated all that consistently.  Lots of
folks just put first name.  Some have included honorifics, middle names,
first initials, etc.

Does Moodle really require a first name and a last name?