[SAC] Disk space on {download,buildbot}.osgeo.org getting low

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Nov 20 12:08:14 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The telascience blade used for buildbot.osgeo.org, and download.osgeo.org
> (and a few other things) is getting low:
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda1             25396228  22500748   1584580  94% /
>
> That is, about 1.5GB space left on the 25GB disk.  A "du" under /osgeo
> where most of our stuff is shows:

Frank,

I alarmed this when we reached 2.5 GB and it was ~2 weeks ago.
Now, we have 1.5GB and looks like it will be growing.

> I think the download space is to be expected, and will inevitably grow
> over time.  But I'd like to address the buildbot space usage:
>
> 1451964 fdo/.
> 2284764 gdal/.
> 80      mapguide/.
> 1265148 mapserver/.
> 367016  proj.4/.
> 394328  qgis/.
> 3468    usr/.
> 40      www/.
>
> On closer inspection, quite a bit of the space seems to be because we are
> keeping buildmaster logs indefinately.  Of the 2.3GB of GDAL space, 1.6GB
> of it are old logs.

Yes, this diagnosis is correct.

> So, first I'd like to suggest to Mateusz that a cronjob or something
> similar be put in place to delete buildmaster logs older
> than say 2 weeks or so.

OK, I will solve it this way.

> Second, I think it would be helpful to avoid putting more buildslaves on
> buildbot.osgeo.org, and perhaps we should move some of the existing ones
> off.

But where?

Generally, the idea is to host 1 master and 1 slave for every project, on
the xblade14-2.

> How is work going on VMs for buildslave usage going?  What system are
> these running on?  Do these system have lots of disk space?

Currently, we can host 2-3 VM instances. So, it may be not enough.
I'm not sure what is the name of the host machine, I'm connecting to it
using VNC and Hamachi (VPN).

> We aren't in a crisis yet, but I'd like to see the log trimming addressed
> immediately.

I'll fix it today after the GDAL meeting.

> VMs and migrating existing slaves can proceed as time
> permits but I'd appreciate a status report.

First, I think we need to discuss this organization with John, and then
design best solution (1 VM per project, 1 VM per software configuration,
or...).

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot