[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [SAC] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] foss4g.org

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Nov 22 15:35:21 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> On 22-Nov-07, at 3:19 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> It is my opinion that for now we should just point the foss4g domain
>> at the foss4g2008 site, but with a plan of making it more multi-year
>> for FOSS4G 2009 when we would aim to more directly administer and
>> manage the site.
>
> I think it's a good compromise in the short term too.

It may not be too late for the 2008 organizers to reorganize their site
to move everything (except the main index page) under
http://foss4g2008.org/2008/.

Then pointing foss4g.org to foss4g2008.org will give URLs starting with
http:/foss4g.org/2008/, and there will be no need to reorganize to make
it multi-year in 2009... that will be done already. This way the 2008
URLs will not change after the conference and all referencing from
external sites will remain valid.

OTOH if you leave things as they are today and just point foss4g.org to
foss4g2008.org you are creating URLs under foss4g.org that will
inevitably have to move when you reorganize the site for 2009... all
external links to the conference program, proceedings, etc will be roken
by the 2009 reorganization.

Just my 0.02$
--
Daniel Morissette