[SAC] Re: qgis web migration to osgeo

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 10:22:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:01:18 -0400
Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Otto Dassau wrote:
> > Hi Markus,
> >
> > On Fri, 23 May 2008 15:28:05 +0200

> >> Keep in mind that the GRASS Wiki is using MySQL there on that blade.
> >
> > I don't have privileges to create a new mysql database for joomla on that
> > server. Can you tell me how to get access to create a new database and give
> > me admin rights?
>
> Otto,
>
> You have sudo priveledges on the telascience blade, so you can create
> new databases.  However, you might use those permissions with caution.
> If you aren't too confident you know what you are doing, and whether it
> might impact other use of the server, then ask for additional help.

Yes, I tried with my priveledges, but it doesn't work, so yes, I could need some
help. I tried to add a new database as root and odassau as you can see below,
but didn't succeed with access denied:

[odassau at xblade14-2 ~]$ sudo mysqladmin -u root -p create joomla_qgisweb
Enter password:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

[odassau at xblade14-2 ~]$ sudo mysqladmin -u odassau -p create joomla_qgisweb
Enter password:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'odassau'@'localhost' (using password: YES)'

I am no mysql guru, so maybe someone can help, what user is allowed to create a
database under mySQL and what do I need to do and make wrong following the steps
described in the joomla manual (see below)?

#########
# 3.2.1. Create and Configure the MySQL Database
# To create the MySQL database run the following as the "root" user.
#
#    [root at t1 tmp]# mysqladmin -u root -p create Joomla
#    Enter password:
#    [root at t1 tmp]#

# Now we need to create a MySQL user for Joomla! Here is a sample session. First
# you need to log in to MySQL as "root" and then create the user with all
# priviliges for the Joomla! database. In this example I created the user
# "joomla_admin" with the password "lockbox".

#    [root at t1 tmp]# mysql -u root -p
#    Enter password:
#    Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
#    Your MySQL connection id is 60 to server version: 5.0.17-standard

#    Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

#    mysql>  GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON Joomla.* TO joomla_admin at localhost
#    IDENTIFIED BY 'lockbox';    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

#    mysql> flush privileges;
#    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

#    mysql> quit
#    Bye
#    [root at t1 tmp]#
########