[SAC] Reliability of Services

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Mar 20 13:22:01 EDT 2008

On 10-Mar-08, at 6:34 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> I am not happy with the reliability of the services that OSGeo
>> operates, especially regarding the website and Wiki. I do not
>> think that it is caused by missing administrative capabilities,
>> capacities (meaning the know-how) or enthusiasm. Even although
>> resources are very limited (we all know that) it never takes long
>> to get things back up. Kudos to all SAC admins and supporters.

> I would suggest we focus our attention on the osgeo1 problems and
> how to
> alleviate them if we are concerned about downtime (which I am - though
> I'm not sure it is a crisis).

Hi all,

Perhaps it's a good time to pause and ask a few questions that affect
maintaining our services:

1- Do we have enough available SAC volunteers to help focus on these
problems?  Need to recruit a few more?
2- Can we give a couple more people shell access to help? e.g. Folks
from projects that have moved into OSGeo (GRASS, QGIS)
3- Could we use some hired help on-demand?
4- Do we want to consider moving to another hosting platform?
5- Should we move some services from one server to another?

As with any volunteer group, we are dependent on goodwill and time
availability of the committee and personal availability fluctuates
over time. It might be a good idea for SAC members to comment on
their current level of availability so we can see if there is a hole
in support availability.

The hosting and service location questions are more what Arnulf seems
concerned about.  Even if we decide to migrate to another ISP or to
move some services around on the boxes, I wonder if we have enough
volunteer time available to make it happen effectively.

Tyler