[SAC] Re: qgis web migration to osgeo

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Fri May 23 07:29:48 EDT 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:59:02 -0400
"Frank Warmerdam" <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 5/23/08, Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi Frank,
> >
> >  for the moment I would need some space on the telascience blade xblade14-2
> >  that I can reach via qgis.osgeo.org, then a .htaccess file and a mysql
> >  database for my joomla installation.
> >
> >  Can you provide that for me or do I have administration rights to do that
> >  myself?
>
> Otto,
>
> I have provided "sudo" priveledges to the odassau account on the
> xblade14-2 machine.  Currently there is no specific dns entry for
> qgis.osgeo.org so it is captured by the wildcard dns entry and
> pointed at www.osgeo.org.  I would encourage you to file a SAC
> Trac ticket requesting this be pointed at xblade14-2.  In the
> meantime you can login to it by ip# or using another name,
> like upload.osgeo.org.
>
> Please place all QGIS/Joomla related files you create in
> /osgeo/qgis so it is possible to tell what they are.

thanks a lot. I created an /osgeo/qgis/qgis-web folder and will send a ticket
request to SAC that qgis.osgeo.org links to it on the xblade14-2 server.

> I'm no mysql guru, so go ahead and make a mysql database.
> I presume it will be created off in some standard mysql location
> instead of within the /osgeo/qgis area. I can't think of any practical
> way to avoid that.

yes, no problem. MySQL is running on that machine so I can prepair everything
I need with sudo rights.

> Keep in mind there is no system level backups for xblade14-2.
> So one thing you will eventually need to setup is backups for
> any part of things you want to keep safe.   There aren't many
> limits on what you can install, but conversely there is very
> little provided support from SAC.

ok, we find a solution for that.

> Best regards,

thanks a lot for your help so far.