[SAC] Conference web sites

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Sep 23 13:11:04 EDT 2008

Hi all,
The FOSS4G 2009 event is almost ready to host a web site.  They'll
file a ticket on it, but I thought it warranted some discussion here.

For background, I helped install, test and support the Open
Conference System (OCS) site this past year.  Which worked well on
several fronts, except for many customisation requests that I ended
up handling.

The main site for 2009 will be some static HTML based system (likely
with OCS used for handling presentations/papers).  Since part of the
solution won't include using the online CMS parts of OCS, the
organisers will need to be able to update these HTML pages.  What's
the best approach for doing it and who can help set it up?

The only thought that comes to mind is that it'd be nice to get
conference stuff off of osgeo1 and let it run on its own somewhere
else (maybe osgeo2 or perhaps on an osuosl.org vm) - so that
permissions for shell access, etc. are not such a big deal for our
main site and wiki security, etc.

This will be a year-to-year issue, so I thought I'd mention it.  I
don't have any great ideas for how to solve it otherwise.

Tyler