[SAC] Backup and migration ideas

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 20 15:15:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,
There are a couple systems related ideas on my mind for a while and I
wanted to put them past you for your thoughts, ideas, critique.  In
general, I've been digging into our options for hosting at
http://www.osuosl.org and a few ways we could capitalise on the
opportunity without making too much work in the short term.

1 - Migrate services from osgeo2 to OSL.
This is likely the simplest server to move over and has the added
benefit of reducing our costs by around 50%.  In some ways we've maxed
out osgeo2 and upgrading is not cheap.  I suggest we focus on building
on a new secondary server
 * Systems affected: wiki, planet, rsync backups from other servers,
development Drupal sites, others?
 * Challenges:  LDAP auth back to osgeo1 needed?, others?

2 - Mirror project websites onto OSL.
If successful, then potentially switch over to the new server where
appropriate.  My particular interest here is to have all main OSGeo
project websites served in a managed server environment.  Hosting these
onto osgeo1 typically opens up security questions.  We may be able to
get VMs for each project or use LDAP shell authentication (like on some
xblades) to handle the various projects in the same VM.  Could also open
this up to include projects not hosted on OSGeo infrastructure, even
just static mirrors.
 * Sites affected: gdal, grass, qgis, geotools, mapserver (?),
geonetwork, mapbender, ?
 * Challenges: several different platforms, shell authentication, ?

3- Build upgraded osgeo.org site on OSL machine.
Wolf and I have discussed a Drupal upgrade over the next few months that
should fix a few things.  Building it on a new system has some
advantages when upgrading all our modules, etc.  I already have an
account and Drupal set up on an OSL machine for testing.
 * Sites affected: www.osgeo.org, mapguide, fdo, mapbender
 * Challenges: tbd

This is probably enough for now.  Here's my summary:
 #1 is less critical but can save some money right away.  It's
moderately difficult to complete but fortunately is a small set of services.
  #2 is the most critical in my mind.  It may also be the hardest to
implement, needing a pretty clearly laid out set of dependencies and
some get sysadmin assistance.   Depending on how it's realised, some
project leads may be able to handle their own needs if we get the
relationship with OSL set up well enough (and have LDAP auth stuff
working from there)
 #3 is already pretty much set up and will be on Wolf and I's plate to
handle anyway.

Anyone interested in helping or pursuing or debating these?  I'm mainly
just brainstorming, but trying to envision some compartmentalized ideas
out for discussion.  Obviously we'd need owners for each part.  The
value I see in doing some of the switches is worth it for me to help,
but obviously I cannot maintain it over the long term.  Perhaps others
might like to join SAC to help see some of these through if there isn't
enough volunteer power??

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Tyler