[SAC] Backup and migration ideas

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 21 01:27:57 EDT 2009

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad it's not totally off the rocker.
One more important point to add...

I've been pinging OSL on and off on similar ideas the past few weeks.
Using the existing VM they gave us would be simple for the Drupal upgrade,
but beyond that they JUST let me know they are hurting for hardware space
at the moment.  So, I'm not sure what they were thinking when discussing
hosting ideas with us at OSCON, but either way...

I will therefore propose that we get some nice new hardware and host it
there.  Anyone on this list especially good at spec'ing out machines?   I
assume we can get some good hardware for the equivalent cost of a couple
months (~$3k) of our current hosting and shouldn't make a major impact on
our overall finances, especially if we can end up retiring osgeo2.

I can see that using the blades has already helped us get into the mindset
of using VMs for compartmentalising our sets of services into groups.  Now
this is where I'm beyond my knowledge to recommend anything, but setting
up virtual server instances is something that OSL staff seem to do quite
well.  I'll start up some docs to help brainstorm this general migration
discussion and then we'll have something to take up with them when we are
ready to dig deeper.

Thanks again for the comments, but especially for your continued help with
OSGeo systems.  It's nice to see that outages are so rare that we really
notice them ;-)

Tyler