[SAC] Virtualization hardware specifications

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 16:24:01 EST 2009

If someone has the time, interest, and is confident enough about
hardware wankery, we need some specs and costs on a three well-
appointed servers to replace osgeo1, osgeo2, and a few blades.  Assume
we would be wanting to run Xen (or something like it) for a number of
server instances on each machine (more cores and more RAM, the
better).  Assume we're running at OSL, 2U's would probably be fine,
and at least one of the machines should have enough hd to run our trac/
drupal postgresql/mysql databases.

How much can we get for $20k USD?  Being the lazy and rather
uneducated person that I am, I would head over to Dell's site and see
what a tricked out dual-proc Nehalem with 8+ gb of RAM would be and
multiply x 3, but I would suspect we could do better than that.
Alternatively, should we just outsource the hardware procurement to
OSL entirely, or is having our own physical hardware something we
really want?

osgeo1 and osgeo2 on peer1 is not our hosting future, and we are
continually getting requests for more and more services.  Unless
someone has a better idea, I propose we start looking seriously at OSL
for our hosting home and decide if we want to be having our own
hardware or be completely virtual.  Let's try to have all of the bits
in place by the New York sprint (February or March) so we can
piggyback our buildout, development, and deployment with that event.
Sound like a plan?

Howard