[SAC] osgeo1 server problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 5 15:57:24 EDT 2009

Folks,

Markus pointed out today that osgeo1 (trac/etc) was pretty much unresponsive.
I tried restarting apache but that only helped a bit temporarily.  Eventually
I killed the dmsc (peer1 automated backup) process and things came back to
normal.

I did not restart dmsc, and I have no idea how to do so.

Markus suggested we run it with a somewhat higher nice level, which might
help with contention.  I wonder if there is anything we can do to reduce the
frequency or completeness of backups it runs to reduce io load.

However, I don't know anything much about dmsc, and I'm not keen to learn
a lot.  Is there any other primary admin interested in digging into this?