[SAC] Project Hosting

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:28:33 EDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 12:54 PM, <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com> wrote:
> pgRouting is a mature project,
> well-documented, with a significant history in the OSGeo community
> (participation at conferences, etc.) There is no reason they
> should not be pursuing incubation that I can see.

As far as precedent goes, we didn't put this condition on PostGIS when they came to us for hosting help. Or GEOS.

> If a project is mature enough to be considered for incubation,
> but is not interested in pursuing incubation, I feel like SAC
> should take care in taking that project on as a hosting
> candidate.

I understand this sentiment, but a project without a "champion" within SAC to be responsible for their project is going to be at the mercy of volunteerism's ebbs and flows regardless. An incubation-worthy project that would rather just freeload system resources from SAC either needs to bring with or create its champion within SAC.  IMO, that's as high of a hurdle as the committee trying to make a determination of incubation worthiness.