[SAC] [Fwd: [support.osuosl.org #11303] OSGeos New Servers]

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 8 19:35:58 EST 2010

FYI:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [support.osuosl.org #11303] OSGeos New Servers
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 00:03:09 +0000

On Tue Feb 23 21:17:53 2010, tech at wildintellect.com wrote:
> Lance,
>
> I have coded the new machines OSGeo3 and OSGeo4 (Bigger Drives and
> RAID 6). We'd like OSGeo4 up 1st, and you can delay OSGeo3 a couple of
> weeks if you need to or want to wait for the new Ganeti.

Finally have an update!

I have both machines up and already have Ganeti setup between both of
them. I'm not quite ready to go live with the system yet but I'm hoping
by the end of the week (if not sooner) we will. I need to finalize
testing on the guest image deployment scripts and then we can start
deploying new VMs.

I probably won't have much of the documentation ready by then but it is
a high priority for me. I can at least get the basics online. The
physical machines will reside on our backend network so you'll need to
get access via our jumphost.

As for the VMs you need to decide which ones you'd like to have redudant
storage via drbd and which you don't. Since osgeo3 has much less disk
space its something to consider since it'll limit how much you can
deploy on osgeo3. I'd recommend you make a decision on whether you the
VM to always be online in case we need to reboot the machine for
security updates, etc. We can perform live migrations but only on VMs
which have drbd backed storage. Otherwise they will just use simple lvm
storage.

I haven't actually tested plain lvm storage yet so hopefully we don't
run into any major issues. Ganeti just released 2.1.0 a few days ago so
we're running the latest stable version.

It might be a great idea if you had one or a couple of VMs you'd like to
have setup ASAP that way I can set them up and make usre everything is
working properly. Afterwards I can give you documentation on how to
deploy new VMs on your own then.

I didn't check to see how the RAID was setup on the machines but I'm
assuming they are ok. Would like me to double check to ensure its in
RAID6?

> Here is the list of our Admin team which will need shell accounts to
> manage the virtual machines via Ganeti, and potentially need shell
> accounts on the virtual machines in order to setup LDAP access to our
> VMs (OSGeo LDAP).

Can you provide perferred usernames for each user and an ssh public key
for each as well?

I'm trying my best to get this done as soon as possible. Hopefully
everything will be ready very soon.

Thanks-

--
Lance Albertson