[SAC] trac/svn downtime

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 11:44:28 EDT 2011

Folks,

The TracSVN VM hosted at osuosl stopped responding somewhere around 11:15am
EDT this morning.  Daniel's service down scripted notified me and a few other
admins, and a couple folks in IRC mentioned the problem.  I was unable to
reach the VM by ssh and the trac and svn http services were inaccessable.
Services on other VMs on the same physical server were fine.

I wrote in #osuosl asking for a reboot and minute or two later submitted
an email to support at osuosl.org.  Ramereth got back to me within a
couple minutes and was able to reboot the VM.  In IRC he wrote:

<Ramereth> coming up, doing a fsck
<Ramereth> not sure what happened. the kvm process was gone it seems :/

I'd appreciate it if folks could post here (on the sac list) when similar
problems requiring OSU OSL VM intervention are required so we can get a
sense of which services are flakey, and how often.

Genearally things are working well, but I am concerned that important
services like Trac and SVN might remain inaccessable for many hours if
there are no OSGeo admins around to pass the request on to OSU OSL.  Note
that pretty much anyone can do so though it would be good to coordinate
on #osgeo to avoid duplication.