[SAC] Networking issues to OSUOSL

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Wed Nov 2 07:02:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm having serious trouble getting to many of the OSGeo-hosted servers in
OSUOSL, starting at 6:47AM eastern time.

This appears to be affecting many OSUOSL services, including Drupal,
Freenode, and OSUOSL's own website, so I assume that this is a wider
networking event and not specific to our servers, but wanted to report
it so you were aware.

In some cases, it looks like HTTP traffic isn't let through while ssh
traffic is; in other cases, it just looks like sparadic slowness in
connections.

In most cases, it does not seem like small ICMP traffic is affected;
however, larger packet sizes do seem to be affected. With 200 byte
packets, I'm getting:

19 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 52.6% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 108.888/111.002/112.109/1.159 ms

With 150 bytes, I'm getting:

17 packets transmitted, 15 packets received, 11.8% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 111.543/114.007/117.911/1.896 ms

With 500 bytes, I'm getting nothing at all.

We appreciate any response you can offer on recovery + anything
we can do to help the situation.

Best Regards,
Christopher Schmidt