[SAC] OSGeo archives at Nabble (Fwd: Re: Taking ownership)

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Nov 11 07:24:50 EST 2011

On 10 November 2011 05:27, Alex Mandel <alex at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 02:04 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Eli Adam <eadam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is this waiting for more infrastructure migration or a SAC meeting?
>>>
>>> If not, with no discussion for a month, does the below mean that
>>> Mateusz should set the owner as info at osgeo.org and himself and
>>> others as admins?  From these threads,
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/sac/2011-September/003319.html and
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/sac/2011-October/003406.html, it
>>> sounds like at least Jeff and Jorge are interested as admins.
>>>
>>> Once we have a new owner and admins, perhaps the admins could close
>>> these tickets:
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/813
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/817
>>>
>>> It sounds like once SAC gives some guidance, Mateusz and Peter can
>>> coordinate to complete this work.
>>
>> Eli,
>>
>> I've been trying to stay out of this, leaving it to those with more
>> interest
>> though I suppose it might fall into the area of responsibility of the
>> mailman
>> admins (myself and Alan as I understand it).  I would prefer not using the
>> info at osgeo.org alias for nabble admin if it is intended to be handled by
>> others.  It is easy to set up a nabble at osgeo.org alias forwarding to
>> whoever
>> wants to be in charge.
>>
>> Ideally Alex as chair would facilitate a decision on this matter.
>

> I think it's best to have someone known to the community who is paying
> attention to nabble as the primary contact. It's easy enough if they get
> tired of it to pass it on.
>
> So yes, I'll propose that Mateusz should be the primary contact, and
> that Jeff and Jorge can be admins along with anyone else from SAC who
> would like to be.
> [...]
> Why don't we give everyone until next Monday(UTC) to voice support or
> opposition + alternatives to this.

The Nabble thing issue is interesting.
I don't use it myself but I assumed it is important interface for many people
in the Community. So, I thought it would be good to help with it,
but it looks Nabble has not a high priority and perhaps it's too time consuming,
thus disturbing for other tasks. Now I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.

Perhaps I should propose a survey in Discuss mailing list:
Is Nabble used at all?
Anyone interested in helping to maintain it?
etc.

Cheers,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org