[SAC] lists.osgeo.org (Mailman) migration

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 21 16:00:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Tyler Mitchell <tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On 2011-10-21, at 8:35 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Yes, and no.  That aspect seemed ok, but ultimately the migration failed
>> because mail did not flow for reasons I do not understand.  I pointed things
>> back at osgeo1 and went to bed in frustration.
>>
>> I will attempt it again in a week or two; hopefully with the assistance of
>> someone competent.
>
> Rats, sorry to hear it Frank.  Are we dealing with "MX" records in DNS
> maybe?  I know only enough to be dangerous on that front

Tyler,

It is possible it relates to that, but it seems to me from
in the pairnic interface that the MX record for lists.osgeo.org
points to whereever the lists.osgeo.org DNS entry points.
But this is also an area I don't know much about.

It *seemed* like messages were getting to the lists VM but
somehow were not being delivered on.  However, if I emailed
a list from a local account on the VM it did seem to work. But
I managed to get quite confused about what had and had not
worked, so I don't really trust my recollection of the details.

I will note there are lots in /var/log/mailman that might help
people work out something about what happened.