[SAC] Re: Subject: [Technical Problem] can't register on trac

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 10 12:04:38 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> - several VMs need to get upgraded since no more security updates are
>  provided for Lenny. I fwd'ed this ahead of time, did one relevant machine
>  myself (ride to hell due to unfortunate configuration) with then great help
>  especially from Martin

Markus,

Yes, this is desirable.  I'm avoiding this since I lack the expertise and
since you moved it can easily go wrong.

> - The move off Peer1 is pending for months and months. That machine is
>   not receiving security updates for too long

To be clear, the action item is to move, not to apply security updates
to the peer1 server (IMHO).

> - The Wiki needs LDAP integration since it is spammed to death, not really
>   an impressive marketing

By all means, I don't know what is holding us back, but I'd love to
see us put this in place, and from my point of view, I could not care
less about preserving existing wiki userids 94% of which are spambots.

> - security holes must be closed (no doubt, we got enough troubles in the past)

In general desirable, yes.

>   - the LDAP script

What about the LDAP scripts?  Just the security issue?

>   - No need to advertise Apache versions with patch levels on the Web (why
>      invite crackers?)

I can't imagine it takes much more effort for attackers to try all their
exploits against a server that doesn't announce it's version as opposed
to some subset against ones that do.  I can't get excited about this
change myself.

> - many SAC Wiki pages are outdated or incomplete

Certainly often the case, though it would be helpful to be more
specific.

> Maybe together with the SAC Chair we can define an action plan?

I'm sure the SAC chair would also like volunteers.

>From my perspective two things I'd like to see move ahead
are migration of the drupal services off peer1 to the new web
VM.  This includes the main osgeo portal and the FDO and
MapGuide sites.  We need someone conversant in Drupal to
do this.  I'd prefer not to change Drupal versions due to the
extra complexity but others have other opinions.

Also, the migration of mailman to the mail VM.  I took a crack
at this, and while the mailman part seemed to go ok, I botched
something with the underlying mail configuration (perhaps even
the DNS MX records) and had to back out.  There isn't much
point in me trying again without the assistance of someone
good with mail configuration and debugging (IMHO).