[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 03:23:48 EST 2012

Martin Spott wrote:
> even at the risk of people telling me again, that I'm wrong,
> I'd like to advertize (again) the use of the 'traditional' Debian
> dist-upgrade method,

times change, methods change, stick with what works for you, but always
spend a few minutes glancing at the release notes...

> which is:
>
> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> #~ > aptitude update

the release notes this time tell us that aptitude is no longer the
favoured method, and apt-get is back in fashion. if we wait long enough
maybe they'll start recommending dselect again. :-)

anyway the troubles so far hasn't been to do with the order or method
of package upgrades leading to a deadlocked dpkg database, and the VMs
need to be reboot-proof*, so whatever method and whatever apt frontend
is chosen shouldn't really be an issue. neither one's "wrong", as many
roads lead to rome.

[*] n.b. adhoc currently wants a reboot due to a new kernel security
update, but the grub package was installed since the last boot, and so
there's a good chance it will run into the same reboot problem which the
projects VM had. what needs to be done?

* fsck problems
  - if fsck can't be run on a mounted (ie root) fs try for reboot just
    before starting the upgrade?

* grub2 problems
  - see if it is possible to apply whatever change was needed to fix
    the projects VM to all the rest of the VMs' /dev/vda just before
    the fsck reboot suggested above.

regards,
Hamish