[SAC] OSGeo Budget and SAC

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 6 15:28:58 EST 2012

On 02/06/2012 11:00 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We prepared a budget for FY 2012 this weekend at the sprint and for SAC
> it includes:
>
>   - $3500 for OSU OSL as a token payment for the services they provide.
>   - $5000 for a new server
>   - money to pay for the peer1 server for half the year implying we will
>     be off it by the end of June.
>   - $200 for DNS name registration.
>
> I'm afraid I just spoke up on behalf of what I thought SAC needed
> without having solicited input from the broader committee.  I
> appologise, but since I hadn't asked around earlier I just spoke up
> from the point of view of what I thought.
>
> Perhaps we could open a discussion around what sort of hardware
> would be useful (presumably hosted at OSU OSL) for circa $5K.
> I'm assuming roughly one more server sort of similar to those we
> have now to move VMs around on giving us additional redundancy
> and to reduce VM crowding.
>
> Best regards,

The other major option we've discussed in the past is a large file
server for storing the backups instead of the current Backup VM. Which
would give us greater flexibility to store backups for longer and to
backup more things (which is debatable).

Having recently bought (in my research lab) an 8 core, 64 GB RAM, 9 TB
server for just under $5000 - that budget is plenty adequate.