[SAC] ProjectsVM Upgrade Problem

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Feb 7 08:49:01 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> It's quite a popular site so we can't leave it off indefinitely

Sure.

> (It appears to be on again). I did manage to figure out how to run the site
> via gunicorn instead of apache but in testing it's seems the proxy by
> the main apache is what's causing the most slow down and possibly load
> on the main apache. I'm not sure the load on the cpu/ram is the culprit,
> but I do have an idea to test it.
>
> In the meantime I'd like to run an experiment for a week running sr.org
> on gunicorn instead of the srorg apache to see if things behave any
> better? Any objections, concerns or questions?

Sounds good.

However, I noticed a few things:
- 2010.foss4g.org was active there but the true IP is a different one! so
  I took it off
- likewise for community-review.foss4g.org which doesn't seem to exists

More importantly: the site is continuously bombed by Chinese IPs pointing
to ad.yieldmanager.com etc. Try the following:

tail -f /var/log/apache2/docs.geotools.org-access_log

So in fact the server performance is impressive, all is eaten by this junk!!

Any chance to block the IPs bombing the projectsVM with requests?
They always attack the alphabetically first server from
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ .

Markus