[SAC] Fair projectsVM usage (esp. Openlayers)

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sun Feb 12 08:30:20 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 05:04:23AM -0800, Hamish wrote:

> Hamish:
> > > fwiw I'm pretty sure the crazy load averages are due to bacula.
>
> Martin:
> > Why ?
>
> correlation with the same time of day that it is running. (although
> there may be another cron job set to go then as well..)

Indeed.  I'm maintaining a couple of Bacula setups on production
servers and none of them is affected by cpu load increasing that much
during backup, and, what's probably most relevant, there's simply no
plausible explanation.

Bacula is just reading file metatada or complete files, the file system
operations are highly predictable, because Bacula simply walks the
direcory tree.  That's a really easy task for the OS.  Therefore if the
load rises that much, I'd rather assume Bacula to be the victim and not
the cause.

Cheers,