[SAC] Fair projectsVM usage (esp. Openlayers)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Feb 28 03:38:22 EST 2012

On 02/27/2012 11:27 PM, Hamish wrote:
> can we /please/ "nice ionice -c3" the backula job?  This is ridiculous, the
> projects VM turns to mollasses for 20-25 minutes each day as all the apache
> processes are deadlocked waiting for access to the disks and respawning
> themselves like mad trying to keep availability intact.
>
> currently:
>  load average: 103.93, 39.21, 15.08
>  Cpu(s):  3.4%us,  2.8%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id, 93.6%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
>

> thanks,
> Hamish
> (slightly frustrated waiting 45 seconds for a wiki page to load)

I have no objections to such an idea. I think we haven't made any
progress on it because no one knows how to do it.

Thinking about how bacula works, the server triggers the client and the
server is in charge. If there happens to be a script that gets run
before the backup I see how we might be able to specify nice.
Do you have any idea how to apply nice or ionice to a process that is
remotely trigged through a server-client system?

Maybe the bacula client service could be run with nice? would that
require us to maintain a variation of the init.d script?

If you can provide more information on a way to do it, I'd be happy to try.

Thanks,
Ale