[SAC] Fair projectsVM usage (esp. Openlayers)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 04:24:23 EST 2012

Hamish wrote:
> > can we /please/ "nice ionice -c3" the backula job?
(sic:)

Alex wrote:
> I have no objections to such an idea. I think we haven't made any
> progress on it because no one knows how to do it.
>
> Thinking about how bacula works, the server triggers the client and the
> server is in charge. If there happens to be a script that gets run
> before the backup I see how we might be able to specify nice.
> Do you have any idea how to apply nice or ionice to a process that is
> remotely trigged through a server-client system?
>
> Maybe the bacula client service could be run with nice?
> would that require us to maintain a variation of the init.d script?
>
> If you can provide more information on a way to do it, I'd
> be happy to try.

I don't have much experience re. how bacula is implemented or how the
client is triggered, so my best suggestions are a bit of a shot in the
dark. However, if the server does trigger a script to run the client
adding the "nice ionice -c3" before some part of the command might work.
Or within the script do "nice +15 -p $$" and "ionice -c3 -p $$" on their
own lines near the top of the script.

Failing that, the "and" daemon could be installed/adapted and told to keep
an eye out for baculas. (`apt-cache show and`)  It might not be a bad idea
to set that up that anyway, to lessen the overall effect of any processes
stuck in a loop.

A:
> > I have no objections to such an idea. I think we haven't made any
> > progress on it because no one knows how to do it.
Martin:
> Well, I don't agree ....
> Instead I wonder why Hamish doesn't simply do it himself instead of
> complaining ?

.. for one thing I'm not a bacula expert, so I don't like messing with
it myself without checking in with the local experts first, for another I
don't have sudo rights on that VM.

thanks & regards,
Hamish