[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #20049] OSGeo: adhoc VM down

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 3 15:07:57 EST 2012

On 01/03/2012 11:43 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
> Hi, I'm running out of ideas - about how to get along with the web
> management.
>
> This tool is somehow running a VNC viewer in a browser. I've tried the
> most recent Firefox on FreeBSD - but I didn't get a VNC viewer to run
> at all.
>
> I've tried Firefox on Win2008 server and partially managed to interact
> with the VM, but getting the VM into accepting my keystrokes was really
> difficult.  I was unable to enter a "/" character into the GRUB boot
> loader command line - and actually I spent most of the time for
> fiddling with the VM (rebooting, re-connecting the VNC console and the
> such) in order to get _any_ keystrokes pushed to the VM, with very
> limited success.  In most of the sessions the VM simply stopped getting
> keystrokes submitted.
> Now I tried the distro-installed Firefox on Debian Squeeze and it
> doesn't get a connect to the VNC server at all.  Whenever I click the
> "Connect" button I'm getting a noVNC splash screen titled by a red bar
> with "Connect timeout".
>
> I wish we had a solid XEN server together with an SSH login to the Dom0
> and xm/xe tools to manage the VM's ....  as long as we don't have a
> working access to the VM's console there's little I can do about it.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

It works fine for me - Ubuntu PPA Firefox 9. Can you try Chromium
browser (They hinted it might be working better) or just latest firefox
fox direct executable. I wonder if the lag from North America to Europe
is too much.

Last time I looked at the machine in question it was sitting at a prompt
with a message about fsck. You'll need to talk with Lance (Ramareth)
about any connection issues you're having.

Did you figure out the root password (I honestly can't recall if we had one)