[SAC] Re: [support.osuosl.org #20349] Backup Implementation for OSGeo VMs

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Fri Mar 2 05:45:29 EST 2012

>From Lance's response I conclude that we're going to roll our own
backup, simply because their annual fee for backing up the OSGeo VM's
by OSL is about twice our single budget for buying a dedicated backup
machine.

Anyhow I've never understood how OSGeo got into financial obligations
with respect to the hosting at OSL.
When the new servers were purchased, everbody was talking about free
hosting at OSL in the sense of "no matter whatever would happen to
OSGeo, the server infrastructure won't be affected and will continue".
Now recently I realized that OSGeo is paying an annual fee of $3.5k for
hosting the two servers at OSL - which is pretty contradictory to what
has been communicated before.
Thus if OSGeo would buy another machine for doing the backup, I
understand that OSGeo would have to pay another annual fee for hosting
the third machine.

Don't get me wrong, I don't object against the figure on the price tag,
instead I'm aware that the fees at OSL are hard to beat.  Anyhow I
wonder wether the additional costs for hosting the third machine had
been taken into account ....

Cheers,