[SAC] [OSGeo] #1055: OSGeo Service Provider Directory Broken

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 8 16:14:18 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
<bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just now reading this, (or figuring out what was being talked about).
>
> I would like to volunteer to build this out into something separate from the Drupal infrastructure, as I think it's better off that way over the long run.
>
> I would like to set up a Postgres database instead and set up a simpler calling structure for displaying the Service Provider information.
>
> I've been wondering for a while now how to set this up as a service that could feed other sites.  The intent being to propagate the information where it is needed.  It would be nice for instance for each project to be able to include a few links related to their project about service providers that are available for their product(s).
>
> All I need to get started would be a dump of the existing data and I'll set something up for review.

Bobb,

Note that currently projects can already reference the Service
Provider Directory.  For instance GDAL links to the following which
gives GDAL related service providers:

http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile?SET=1&MUL_TECH[0]=00013

On the one hand, separating this from Drupal would make upgrading
Drupal easier.  On the other hand, at the time it was built it was
perceived as helpful to build it into Drupal so it appears to be a
natural similarly styled part of the web site, and tied into the
existing LDAP infrastructure.  I'm a bit dubious on the value of
setting it up as a separate service.