[SAC] Fwd: Munin Notification backup.osgeo.org Disk usage in percent

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 20 10:59:07 PDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 01:56 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> [...]

Email sent to OSUOSL on previous ticket. I proposed $1500-$2500 for
4-6TB of backup (That's a 1U server with 2 or 3 TB disks in RAID 6).
If they can offer backup service under $1000/yr I might suggest we take
that, assuming our backup solution is about the same cost per year on a
3-5 year. Otherwise I've asked for them to price a machine to meet those
needs.

I do think some people do need to sit down an audit what is backed up
especially on Projects and Adhoc where we might be backing up things
like Tile Caches on accident. I noticed a few users home directories
being in the 7 G+ range and wonder if we really need to backup all the
data in those folders.

When I get a chance I'll glance at the rules to make sure we're not
keeping too many copies of things that don't change often/ever and see
how many days worth of Trac/SVN we're hanging on to.