[SAC] Bounce action notification

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Mon Sep 23 09:52:29 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 02:20:40AM -0700, Hamish wrote:

> Just to let you know that Hotmail have started banning posts from all
> OSGeo mailing lists recently [...]

In fact, Hotmail are arbitrarily banning innocent sites. A customer of
mine is running a standby server for his production site on a machine
which was set up from scratch on a fresh IP.  Not a single EMail was
sent from this IP for years !!
After we switched the site over to the standby machine for maintenance
reasons, we found out that this IP was blocked by Hotmail.

That's SPAM prevention running out of control and I think it's not
unreasonable to advise against using Hotmail for serious communication.

Cheers,
	Martin.

P.S.: Several years ago German Telekom ("T-Online") used to do the same, they
      blocked large IP ranges without further investigation -
      preferrably those of their competitors ....