[SAC] New Vms w/ Debian 7

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri May 9 16:12:52 PDT 2014

On 05/09/2014 03:34 PM, Martin Spott wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 03:13:09PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>
>> As we're discovering, full backups of everything is unrealistic. It just
>> leads to dismal performance and overuse of the hardware.
>
> I disagree, I'd say you're shooting the messenger. Instead, full
> backups *is* realistic, if the disk subsystem is done right - well, and
> as long as sufficient backup space is available, of course.  Currently
> our VM's are sitting on inefficient disk subsystems, that's why backups
> are having a huge impact.
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

Aside from switching from Raid 6 to Raid 5 what else would improve this?
My understanding is that Raid 6 should not be significantly slower for
read operations than Raid 5 but I have no real world data for that.
XFS, ZFS or BTFS instead of ext3? You mentioned lots of small files
being involved at some point. Is it an issue of not optimizing for that?

I'd love full backup if that seems feasible. Shifting the timing seems
to have cleared some of the congestion but clearly something else is
still going on. We have identified some increased none-sense traffic but
not much else has changed, other than the drives/hardware which should
all be back to optimum state.

In thinking about other hardware how does one avoid this issue in the
purchasing stage?