[SAC] New Vms w/ Debian 7

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat May 10 01:45:10 PDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 04:12:52PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>
>> Aside from switching from Raid 6 to Raid 5 what else would improve this?
>> XFS, ZFS or BTFS instead of ext3?
>
> Ah, yes, please let's eliminate Ext3  :-)

To throw in some experience: we migrated our FEM PGIS cluster from
ext3 to XFS several years ago and did not regret this decision. For  a
recent 96TB low cost extension based on small microserver boxes we
selected GlusterFS on top of XFS formatted disks. Works ok so far.
XFS is now the default FS for RHEL 7 (we use Scientific Linux).

I would hesitate to consider BTFS. ZFS sounds interesting but no
experience. So XFS might be the "natural" choice since it is widely
used for years.

Markus